An ingrown toenail can be extremely painful, especially if it goes untreated and starts developing an infection. If you are suffering from an ingrown toenail, see your podiatrist at Comfort Stride foot clinic in Toronto.
What Causes Ingrown Toenails?
Ingrown toenails can occur on the corner or side of a toenail and typically on the big toe. They can happen because of cutting your toenails too short, wearing shoes that are too tight, etc. If you have diabetes, it is important that you seek immediate care for your ingrown toenail, because you are at higher risk for complications without timely treatment.
Do I Have an Ingrown Toenail?
When an ingrown toenail occurs, it is rather obvious. Some symptoms can include:
- Redness around the toenail
- Pain and tenderness along your toe and the sides of the nail
- Swelling around the toe
- Infection of the tissue, pus or bleeding
How Are Ingrown Toenails Treated?
Treatment for ingrown toenails will vary depending on the severity and any underlying medical conditions. Sometimes you can treat the condition at home just by soaking and lifting the nail out of the skin gently. More severe cases, however, may even require surgery.
Treatment of an ingrown toenail involves:
- Lifting the nail’s edge and placing a piece of cotton underneath to prevent it from settling back into the skin. You will need to soak the nail and replace the cotton daily once back at home.
- For a severe ingrown toenail, the doctor may need to partially remove the ingrown portion of the toenail.
- If you have a chronic ingrown toenail issue on the same toe, your podiatrist in Toronto may remove a portion along with the underlying tissue to prevent that part of the nail from growing back and becoming lodged in place again. This is done using chemical treatment or laser.
Meet with a Podiatrist at Your Local Foot Clinic in Toronto
If you have ingrown toenails and at-home treatments have not worked, or the area is too painful, a podiatrist can help. A podiatrist will gently remove the ingrown toenail and provide you with self-care procedures at home to prevent it from happening again. If you have diabetes, seek treatment from a professional right away to avoid further complication. The team at Comfort Stride is here to help you with your concerns and limit the risk for infections on your feet.
Are you suffering from ingrown toenails? Contact the team at Comfort Stride today. Call 647-989-7794 for a consultation.