Why You Should See a Foot Doctor for Your Ankle Sprain
Categories: Ankle pain
Not all ankle injuries will require professional help, but it is important that you understand when it is time to seek treatment for your sprain. Getting ankle injury treatment as soon as possible will not only help relieve pain, but can also speed up the recovery process, so you can get back to regular activities and work.
When to See a Doctor About Your Ankle Injury
Most people will only seek treatment after dealing with their injury for several days and finding no relief. Some indicators that it may be time to see a foot doctor for your ankle sprain include:
- Your foot or leg bends at an abnormal angle
- You feel severe pain in the ankle area – despite resting, icing and elevating the injured ankle
- Your foot is cold or pale or you have noticed that it changes colour, other than bruising
- You notice a numbness or tingling sensation in the foot or toes that lasts long after the injury
- You cannot move your ankle properly even after several days
When to Seek Treatment Right Away
Most ankle injuries are not emergency situations, but there are times you may need to seek treatment sooner; immediately after the injury occurs. Here are some signs that you should contact a foot doctor immediately:
- At the time of the injury, you heard a loud popping sound come from the ankle. This could indicate a more serious injury and not a sprain. Therefore, seek treatment right away.
- You have moderate pain or you notice severe swelling or bruising around the injured ankle.
- You cannot walk or put any weight on the ankle. When you walk, your ankle feels unstable.
- You notice redness, swelling or pain coming from your leg or groin region; this could be an indication of a blood clot and requires immediate medical attention.
- Your ankle shows no improvement even after one week of treatment and rest.
- Your ankle has swelling and bruising that has not resolved itself within two weeks of the injury.
If you are ever unsure about an ankle or foot injury, see a foot doctor right away. The team at Comfort Stride can assess the injury and develop an ankle injury treatment plan so that you can get back on your feet in no time.
If you are suffering from an ankle sprain, do not hesitate to book your appointment with Comfort Stride. Our doctors will help you get walking comfortably again. Call us at 647-989-7794 now to schedule your appointment.